- Ginny Duenkel Pool
Ginny Duenkel Pool
CLICK HERE FOR MEMBERSHIP PRICING INFORMATION
Pool Memberships for the 2023 season are available now at www.westorange.org/rec. For the seventh consecutive season, pool membership rates remain the same. Family, Individual, Senior Citizen and Senior Citizen couple memberships are available.
The facility includes three pools: a large main pool equipped with a safety entrance ramp, a diving tank with a low board and a water slide and an interactive spray pad area. Other amenities include a snack bar with a spacious eating deck, large lounging areas and a rec center. Special programs at the pool include the swim lesson program, seven day a week recreation program, the very successful West Orange Wave Swim Team, senior citizen programs, pool parties, the annual Sports & Games Night and more.
Important 2023 Pool Dates
- May 10 – Deadline for Early Bird Pricing
- May 17 – Morning Lap Swim, Swim Lesson and Swim Team Registration Open
- May 27 – Pool Open for Spring Weekends
- June 13 – Swim Team Tryouts
- June 23 – Sports ‘n’ Games Night at the Pool
- June 24– Pool Open Full Time
- June 27 - Home Swim Meet vs. Morris Plains (Main Pool/Diving Tank Closes at 5:15 pm)
- July 3 – Swim Lessons Begin
- July 4 – Independence Day Special Pool Hours 9:00 am – 6:30 pm
- July 6 - Home Swim Meet vs. Summit (Main Pool/Diving Tank Closes at 5:15 pm)
- July 11 - Home Swim Meet vs. Berkeley Heights (Main Pool/Diving Tank Closes at 5:15 pm)
- July 20 - Home Swim Meet vs. Morris Township (Main Pool/Diving Tank Closes at 5:15 pm)
- August 27 – Movie Night at the Pool
- September 4 – Last Day of the Pool Season
🅿️ - PLENTY OF PARKING, INCLUDING EASILY ACCESSIBLE HANDICAP SPOTS
2023 Pool Rules and Regulation Book
2023 Pool Rules and Regulations Book - Spanish
Pool Safety Tips
- Younger swimmers should use the rest room prior to entering the water and be reminded that they can get out of the pool, go use the restroom, wash up and return to the water.
- Inexperienced swimmers should always swim with a buddy.
- While there are lifeguards on duty, active supervision for younger swimmers should be maintained by parents and/or responsible adults.
- Sunscreen should be applied 15 minutes before getting into the water as the sunscreen needs time to absorb. Applying it right before entering the water is ineffective as it washes off or can run into swimmer’s eyes.
- Sunscreen should be reapplied every two hours. Water-proof and water-resistance sunscreens do not mean you do not need to reapply. These types of sunscreen protect your skin for approximately 40-80 minutes.
- Chlorinated water is very reflective so it is important to remember to use sunscreen.
- When reapplying sunscreen, all should also use that time to take a restroom break, seek shade and rehydrate.
- Do not swallow pool water. While all necessary steps are taken to keep the pool clean, it still does contain chlorine, sunscreen and other items from the surrounding environment.
- Do not enter the water if you are experiencing or recovering from diarrhea or have had any signs or symptoms of gastrointestinal disease in the past seven days. (NJ Public Bather Code 8:26-5-4).
- Any pool member or guests displaying gastrointestinal issues will be removed from the pool grounds and shall not be permitted to return until a minimum of 48 hours after the incident.
- Know the signs of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Watch for elevated heart rate, dizziness, clammy hand and feet, and shortness of breath. If you or a loved one experience any of these symptoms, move to a cooler place, lay down and seek medical attention, if necessary.
Operated by the West Orange Recreation Department, the pool is open to West Orange residents only. Various membership plans are available. With rare exception, members are allowed to sponsor guests on a daily basis. Membership applications are available at the Recreation Dept. in the spring of every year.
Named in honor of Virginia "Ginny" Duenkel, West Orange resident who competed in the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan. (Multiple medal winner)