In accordance with new State of New Jersey legislation, all individuals/entities operating businesses or rental property in New Jersey must maintain liability insurance that covers property damage, bodily injury, or death resulting from accidents or occurrences. The State of New Jersey has charged municipalities with the responsibility to monitor local businesses to ensure their compliance with these regulations.
To this end, the Township has adopted Ordinance 2778-23, requiring all business and rental owners to obtain an annual mercantile license no later than October 31, 2023. To simplify the registration process and proof of compliance, the Township has created an online portal accessible by clicking here. To begin the process of registration, please be sure to click the Township of West Orange on the municipality drop down link.
You can also register in person at Town Hall in Room 214 during the hours of 8:30 am- 10 am and 1 pm - 3 pm.
If you have any questions or require any assistance, do not hesitate to get in touch with the Township's Planning and Development office at email@example.com.
- Where can I find the enacted legislation?
- Where can I find the Township Ordinance?
- Who is required to comply with the Township Ordinance?
- What are the Insurance Liability Requirements?
- What is the term of each license?
- How much is Mercantile License annual registration fee?
- Where do I post the Mercantile License?
- When is the compliance date of the Ordinance?
- Are there any restrictions with the Mercantile License?
- How will the Mercantile License be enforced?
- What happens if a business does not comply with obtaining a Mercantile License?
- Can I come in person to register?
- Can I pay by check or cash?