Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) is proposing new high voltage underground electric transmission cables from their switching station in West Orange located at the intersection of Prospect Avenue and Mt. Pleasant Avenue to their McCarter Switching Station in Newark. PSE&G established a preferred route for this cable that follows the following path in West Orange:
1. From the switching station south on Prospect Avenue to Benvenue Avenue, then
2. East on Benvenue Avenue one block to Northfield Avenue, then
3. East on Northfield Avenue one block to Bradford Avenue, then
4. East on Bradford Avenue one block to Undercliff Terrace, then
5. South on Undercliff Terrrace to Forest Hill Road, then
6. South and east on Forest Hill Road to South Valley Road, then
7. East on South Valley Road into the City of Orange at Forest Street
As part of the design, a subcontractor for PSE&G is performing soil borings along this route. During the week of February 29, 2016, soil borings will be performed on Forest Hill Road and Undercliff Terrace. The geotechnical information gathered from these soil borings will factor into the route determination and project design.
Later in the Spring, PSE&G will dig test pits at key intersections along this route.