Click to Home


Go To Search
Home
RSSPrintEmail
West Orange Community Map


 west-orange-map.jpg
download.png  Standard Version      download.png Hi-Resolution Version
 
WEST ORANGE, NJ
Community Map
Courtesy of Joseph Fagan
Historian, West Orange, NJ


Gregory
This section can trace its early development to 1908 when the  Hudson Tubes
now known as PATH first opened. It provided greater access to the
Lackawanna Railroad and since Mountain Station in South Orange was the first  stop
in a suburban setting it enabled families from New York to settle in and
around Gregory Avenue.

Hutton Park
In 1820 a mineral spring was discovered on this property  and the Orange
Springs Hotel was erected and developed into a resort. In 1887  the Essex
County Country Club was formed and constructed their first golf course  here in
1898 before relocating to their Prospect Avenue location in 1918.

Llewellyn Park
First sections founded by Llewellyn Haskell beginning in  1854 whose vision
for preserving the natural beauty of the Orange Mountains  resulted in what
is considered to be the first gated community in the United  States.

Pleasantdale
First settled by Samuel Condit in 1720. References to  Pleasantdale first
appeared in a diary kept by his granddaughter living there in  1772 making
this the oldest section name in current day West Orange.

St. Cloud
Originally founded by Benjamin Small who began building small  cottages
here in the 1860s. The development was named by Small's wife because  the area
reminded her of a Paris, France suburb by the same name.

St. Mark's
Sections of this church was originally constructed in 1827  with stone
quarried from Shrump's Quarry in Pleasantdale and remains today as  West
Orange's oldest standing landmark.

The Valley
Often refereed to historically as the Orange Valley is the  area bordering
Orange. Beginning in the 1850s it became a center for hat  manufacturing and
at one time was home to 29 hat factories in the surrounding  vicinity.

Tory Corner
Originally named Williamsville after the Williams family who  were the
first to settle in the area. They were Tories who were loyal to the  British
Crown during the American Revolution and gathered near these  crossroads which
has since been known as Tory Corner.

Watchung Heights
Founded by Waston Whittlesey beginning in 1894 with  1103 building lots.
The successful development of the area was aided by the  Eagle Rock trolley
line that ran through the property until 1924.