- Tax Collector
- Tax Payments
Failure to receive a tax bill or reminder notice does not exempt you from paying taxes or the interest due on delinquent taxes. New Jersey state law is quite clear on your responsibility for paying. Paying your obligations in a timely manner does help the township save money.
Schedule of Payments
|Tax Quarter||Payment Due Date|
Sewer payments are due April 1 annually.
West Orange has a 10-day grace period. The State of New Jersey does not permit postmark. Payments must be received in the office on or before the 10th day of the month. However, if the 10th day falls on a weekend or legal holiday, you have until the next business day to make payment.
Interest & Penalties
Interest of 8% is charged up to $1,500 and 18% for more than $1,500 delinquency until taxes are paid current. If not paid by December 31, a penalty of 6% is charged on any delinquency more than $10,000.
Make a Payment
Payments may be made in person or by mail by cash, check, or money order. All checks are deposited the next day.
- Dropbox We have a locked drop box (gray) located in the back of Town Hall. Please do not put in cash payments; we cannot be responsible for cash payments.
- Mail When paying by mail, please send a check with the appropriate payment stub. The cancelled check will be your receipt. If you need a receipt mailed back to you, send your check with the entire tax bill and a self addressed, stamped envelope.
- Online Tax payments may be made with your bank account information or with a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover Card and American Express). A convenience fee of 3% will be charged. Credit card payments can be made on line only on the web site. If you use your own online bank paying system, please make sure that you have your tax account number in the memo section. On Line Bill Pay
- Checks To avoid having your check returned due to errors and causing a delay that may cause interest charged for late payments, follow these instructions:
- Make checks payable to Township of West Orange.
- Make sure that the written amount matches the numerical amount.
- Make sure that the check is signed.
- Place block and lot numbers or the account number in the memo section of the check.
- Date the check with the same date you are writing the check. No postdated checks will be accepted.